How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I recently had a very strange incident while visiting my foreign

This answer was rated:

I recently had a very strange incident while visiting my foreign girlfriend abroad. While there her family received an e-mail from a supposed fiancée of mine. I do not have a fiancée or know anyone by her name. This was somewhat distressing for all involved, but it was relatively easy to pick holes in the story. The e-mail also left a UK landline phone number which when called was answered by someone also claiming to be my fiancée.
I was able to convince my girlfriends family and we are very sure it originated from a ex boyfriend of her's that has started cyber stalking her.
Currently I do not believe I can do anything about my girlfriends ex, and she is examining legal options herself. However my name was disparaged and the incident was distressing for all involved.
So my question is: I have a UK landline number for someone I don't know, who maliciously defamed my name. If I wish to pursue this further, legally, what are my options?
Thank you in advance for your help.
John O'Flynn
Alex Watts : Hello John my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Alex Watts : What is it you want to achieve please?

Good question! I guess as I said I was looking at my options. I believe if I passively take this I am opening myself to continued lies and possibly even contribute to the harassment my girlfriend is receiving.


I was wondering what is the entry point?

Alex Watts : Has it happened more than once, her being harassed?

a lot more than once. But she is going to seek legal advice in her country. I believe that is her business. I can only deal with my side.


neither her or her ex are in the UK so I didn't think I could do anything here. But the person claiming to be my fiancée was in the UK

Alex Watts : If the person is not in the UK then it would be difficult.
Alex Watts : The uk police are unlikely to do anything if this didn't happen in the UK.

so just the person claiming to be my fiancée with the UK landline then?

Alex Watts : If you know who it is you could potentially seek an injunction. But then you would have to prove who it is and that they are in the UK. If not then you would need to enforce an injunction in that country
Alex Watts : just someone claiming to your financee in the UK is not in itself illegal.
Alex Watts : There would have to be some fraud in an attempt to cause you a loss or a threat.
Alex Watts : Even then it would need to take,place in the UK or by someone in the UK.
Alex Watts : You would still have to then prove who it was
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and it is certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

I only have there phone number. And I only believe they wanted to split us up. But my name was defamed, if that means anything?


and I thank you for your honesty.


sounds like there is nothing I can do?

Alex Watts : Just trying to split you up is sadly not a criminal offence. I am sorry

thank you all the same.

Alex Watts : Happy to help. If I could ask you to rate my service before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen,
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click reply
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you