How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71155
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was sexually abused as a young boy by an Uncle-in-law in

This answer was rated:

I was sexually abused as a young boy by an Uncle-in-law in South Africa. After many years "burying" the memory it is something I am now aware of as having an effect on my life now as a grown man, married with children.
The offender, now also lives here in the UK with his family. I need advice on what to do to and how to approach the situation as I feel he should get retribution for his wrong doing.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You can make a report in the UK but they would refer it back to the South African authorities as the UK courts do not have jurisdiction.
If he is in the UK then he would need to be invited back to South Africa to resolve the allegation. The UK do have treaties with other countries to hand people over although not generally for questioning only.
Alternatively you could sue in accordance with South african laws in South Africa.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you