How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Odd situation but I will keep it brief. My husband was paying

This answer was rated:

Odd situation but I will keep it brief. My husband was paying his first ex wife £1165 a month for her and 2 teenage boys under a consent order. He then lost his job and reduced payments to £550 whilst out of work and then kept it at that as he then Gained employment at a lower salary than before. Court ordered him to pay £25000 plus £10000 costs in 90 days which he just didn't have plus ordered him to pay £1300 a month to her on a global order. As a result he had to go bankrupt to be able to afford the £1300 a month. I own my home (mortgaged) and my husband lives with me. Once he is discharged I understand she will pursue him for this £35000' accruing 8% daily and wondered if she has any right to come after me as he as a bankrupt can prove that he has no money?? Can she try and take my home from me?
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
If this is your own home purchase with your own funds and your husband is not the registered owner of it then she will have no claim on your home.
Even as husband and wife you cannot be liable for another persons debts unless you have done so in writing (i.e personally guaranteed them) - this is under the law of the Statute of Frauds.
Your husband is solely responsible for this debt and it can only be claim from his assets or his share of joint assets.
Kind regards
Alex J. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you