How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

there, There has been an issue between two parties and

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
There has been an issue between two parties and we have decided for an out of court settlement without any legal help at this stage. As a result Party A is agreeing to pay Party B an amount to settle the dispute. Both parties have agreed to this verbally.
If we draft up an agreement (without any legal help) which both parties agree to and which will put in writing that this is a full and final settlement between the two parties involved, will this be a legally binding agreement which will hold up in court if there were any sort of comebacks in future?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Yes this is called a Tomlin order.
Alex Watts : The proceedings will be stayed generally with liberty to apply.
Alex Watts : That is to apply to set aside in the event of default.
Alex Watts : The wording of the agreement is annexed to the Tomlin order staying proceedings.
Alex Watts : But if a party breaches if you can apply to the court to set aside the order and continue.
Alex Watts : This assumes proceedings have been issued.
Alex Watts : if proceedings have not then yes, you could sue for breach of contract
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you