How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

got married moved in wifes council flat years i payed

Customer Question

got married moved in wifes council flat for 5 years i payed for bills and food she paid for rent
council then gave money towards buying property
she wants to buy me out of property and for me to leave family home
council gave £16.000 house worth 400.000
she claims she should not just back on the 16,000 but approximately 100.000 because the 16.000 we got from council works out to 1/4 of the value of the house when purchased [ratio)
and then we should negotiate on the 300,000 remainder
that seems unfair I need to know what the law says
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together in total and are there any children involved?
How much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

25 years

2 children aged 19 and 20

approximately £33,000

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
The length of the relationship means that the starting point for division of the equity is 50/50 and the courts will not stray far from that - certainly not based on the fact that she contributed the discount.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details