How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I are both British citizens and we were both born

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are both British citizens and we were both born and grew up in the UK. For several years we have been living and working overseas, in Australia and Thailand.
We have two adopted children. Our 12 year old daughter is an Australian citizen (adopted from China under the laws of Australia) and our 6 year old son is a Thai citizen (adopted in Thailand under the laws of Thailand.
We are moving back to the UK permanently and need advice on how to ensure that we encounter no problems bringing our children home with us. The GOV.UK website is ambiguous and does not address our specific situation. Could you please advise.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - the Thai adoption has not been recognised in Australia in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Clare,

yes, that is correct. We have been working and living in Thailand for 4 years and will not be resuming residence in Australia until we retire. The adoption of our son has been facilitated by the Child Adoption Centre of the Royal Thai Government, with the help of a Thai lawyer to overcome the language issues.

You have no need to worry.
The Uk recognises both the Adoptions and accordingly if you wish the children to have Uk passports then they are entitled to them and you can either apply for them now and bring them to the Uk as citizens; or obtain visa's for them now and apply for passports in the UK.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you