How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I bought a house under (Barclays) mortgage in 2002 and paid

Customer Question

I bought a house under (Barclays) mortgage in 2002 and paid it off in 2004. I asked for 'my title deeds' and was sent a "Charge Certificate". This has no names on it, let alone mortgage details, so my question is "How can I see proof I own my home mortgage free?"
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Just to check
It is in fact headed "Office Copy of the Entries in the Register"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. It is headed "HM Land Registry", then "Charge Certificate". There is a Title Number inside.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
In that case - to have the reassurance that you need, you need to apply to the Land Registry for a Copy of the Land Register using the service here
Which shoudl show you as the owner of the property and that there are no outstanding charges involved
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details