How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Good evening I lent a second cousin £6000 pounds interest

This answer was rated:

Good evening
I lent a second cousin £6000 pounds interest free in January 2013 on condition it was supported by a promissory note specifying it was to be repaid on or before 15th April 2015
The promissory was duly signed, witnessed by her solicitor .
Today, the due date I have not received payment , I have tried to contact her but she has not responded.
I anticipate difficulty in recovering the money , however as it is part of my pension pot , I feel fully justified in pursuing her
can you please advise me as to the best course of action to recover the debt
Thank you very much indeed
Tom Danter
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response , does the claim have to be submitted to my local court or where she is resident I live 250 miles from her


You can do it online and if defended will be transferred locally to her.
Even if you issue at your court it will be transferred to the home court
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.