How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I wrote a blogpost about working . I did not mention

This answer was rated:

I wrote a blogpost about working for family. I did not mention the family members name or business. He has threatened me if I don't remove the post he will have my website shut down.. He says his legal team have said that they can claim for damages. Is this true?
Thank you, Christine
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Have you said anything untrue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No everything is true.

This is the post

I have received 4 texts telling me that his legal team said they can claim damages and shut my website down.


The difficulty with this is that it does identify you and therefore the 'family' could be identified. There are some things there that do potentially amount to defamation.
In terms of seeking the closure of the site, he will not get that but he could seek an injunction to remove what you have written.
He does potentially have a claim in damages although he has to show that he did suffer loss.
If you remove the copy from the site then that would probably be a sharp end to any legal action that he proposes taking.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I am disappointed as the bully seems to have won. I didn't mention his name or business so I really don't understand how I need to pay damages to him. I feel that I should have been paid damages because of the way he treated me.

So what would you suggest i do to close this matter without looking like I have folded?


No, but it is possible to work out who he is because of what you have said.
If you don't want to fold then refuse to pay damages and invite him to sue. Just be aware that could end in legal action and that could be expensive if you lose
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One last question, I don't have any money so if I couldn't pay what would happen then?

Sorry for the delay. This dropped of my question list.
He could seek to claim your assets or get an injunction with the power of arrest. Usually the injunction is wanted to protect further assertions. Costs can be enforced at a later stage.