How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

My father is a Turkish National, currently lives in Turkey

This answer was rated:

My father is a Turkish National, currently lives in Turkey & is getting on a bit. My mother, my sister & I are all British nationals & live in the UK.
He went to university & then worked in the UK during the 60s & 70s and at one point was offered a chance to take up British citizenship - which at the time he did not.
He now also has several grandchildren in the UK, would he be eligible to move to move over here & live with us?
Many thanks.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Is there any medical conditions which require him to be cared for 24/hours and that care/medical care is not available in Turkey?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks for the update Nicola, had not received your message yesterday.

In answer to your question UK Lawyer (at least, I think in answer to your question):

- My father does not need medical care 24/7

- He has had cancer in the past, but to our knowledge he is currently in the clear, however we would need NHS cover if he were to need further medical treatment. He has an NHS number from his previous visits, if that has any relevance.

- He no longer has any family or resources in Turkey, he had been living with relatives, but they have just had to sell up leave the country themselves,

Many thanks,

Erol Kentli

Thank you for your reply.
In respect of your father's condition, the home office would only allow an elderly dependent relative to join you on the UK if you could prove that being in their home country would mean that their condition would deteriorate. The applicant would need to be over the age of 65 living alone outside the United Kingdom in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances.
The home office have a very high threshold for the words exceptional and compassionate circumstances. It would be for your father to be able to prove that their circumstances are so extreme that they warrant the home office to view them in a compassionate way.
From my experience what the home office deem exceptional and compassionate is someone outside the UK over the age of 65,no family members in their country, bedridden, alone, not being able to to care for themselves and required 24/hr care, and even if they had the monies they would not be able to get the care required in their home country.
As you can envisage only a very low percentage of applications meet this threshold and it would be for your father to show that he can meet this requirement.
If you believe that he satifies the above requirement then you would need to submit an application using the following website:
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you