Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

, I bought my house while still officially married

I bought my house while still officially married but reverted to my maiden name.
All my documents, bank account etc have been in my maiden name for approx 20+ years.
I plan to sell my house shortly, will I have any problem with my married name being on the deeds of my house but everything else in my maiden name, if so I do I rectify.
My ex husband issued divorce from Australia, I did not receive a decree absolute but know it went through as he remarried in Australia
Julie

No, you will simply need to show that you are one and the same person by producing, say, a copy of your marriage certificate showing both names. The purchaser will only be concerned with whether you own the property and hence can pass ownership of it.

I hope this helps, if there are any further points please reply.

Best regards

Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** *****

Just to clarify, do I need to have my married name changed to my maiden name on the property deeds before I sell or just produce the marriage certificate and perhaps my birth certificate together?

Dear *****

You do not need to change the deeds, just produce your marriage certificate which should have your maiden name and married name to complete the paper chain.

Best wishes

Michael