How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7072
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

, I bought my house while still officially married

This answer was rated:

I bought my house while still officially married but reverted to my maiden name.
All my documents, bank account etc have been in my maiden name for approx 20+ years.
I plan to sell my house shortly, will I have any problem with my married name being on the deeds of my house but everything else in my maiden name, if so I do I rectify.
My ex husband issued divorce from Australia, I did not receive a decree absolute but know it went through as he remarried in Australia

No, you will simply need to show that you are one and the same person by producing, say, a copy of your marriage certificate showing both names. The purchaser will only be concerned with whether you own the property and hence can pass ownership of it.

I hope this helps, if there are any further points please reply.

Best regards


Michael Holly and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** *****

Just to clarify, do I need to have my married name changed to my maiden name on the property deeds before I sell or just produce the marriage certificate and perhaps my birth certificate together?

Thank you

Dear *****

You do not need to change the deeds, just produce your marriage certificate which should have your maiden name and married name to complete the paper chain.

Best wishes