How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

I've been left 70% of property in a will by my late mother.

This answer was rated:

I've been left 70% of property in a will by my late mother. I have lived here with her for 30 yrs during the last few i have been a full time carer, can i be forced to sell?, she has no outstanding debts.
Hello, thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this.
You may have a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. This allows people to claim additional rights against an estate, where it is right and just to do so. In your case, as you appear to have been dependent upon your late mother, effectively living in the property as her full-time carer, you may be entitled to a life interest at least in the property, thereby allowing you to live there until you die.
There are various factors that the court will consider in this kind of case, such as whether you're able to obtain alternative accommodation now, and your reasons for wishing to remain at your late mother's property.
In any event, you need to look at this from the perspective of the other beneficiaries too, in the sense of asking whether they would be prepared to fight you at court to prevent you from continuing to have an interest in the property until your own death. They appear to have been left a smaller amount, in percentage terms, once your own interest is taken into account.
Therefore, I suspect you may very well be able to resist a sale of the property and claim a life interest. It is important that you seek advice from a solicitor as quickly as possible, as ordinarily, you only have six months from the date that probate is granted in which to challenge this and make a claim at Court. If you intend to do this, then a solicitor would be best places to assist you in making that claim as these things can be complicated unless you have some legal knowledge.
I hope this is useful and answers your question. If you require any further clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my answer as highly as possible.
Kind regards
tdlawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you