How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Yorkshire bank rang me to say they have been paying into my

This answer was rated:

Yorkshire bank rang me to say they have been paying into my savings account £200 a month which should have been paid into someone elses account. My savings accounrt isn't one which I check regularly only to move money around so I don't check the account transactions. I have had a letter saying they want the £1200 back within 7 days and if I need to I can pay in instalments.
I need to know if I am within my rights to refuse to pay for their mistake or at the very least to offer a repayment of a small amount of £10 per month if I have to pay it back.
I am a pensioner and this is causing stress.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I am sorry but you are not. They are entitled to reclaim this money. It belongs to somebody else. It is not even the bank's money. If you don't repay they will just seize it from your account.
If you don't have it then they will have to either sue you and seek repayment or accept payment in instalments.
However, the fact that it is indeed their mistake is not a ground to avoid repayment or really even avoid a short repayment scale. There is absolutely no prospect of £10 a month I'm afraid.
Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you