How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a 21 year old single working mom on a low wage having

This answer was rated:

I am a 21 year old single working mom on a low wage having spit up with my partner after suffering domestic violence from him. I was receiving tax credits jointly on the basis of the salary he told me but I know find out from HMRC he lied about his salary as the joint income was £45k instead of £19k. He is the one who has committed fraud to HMRC and lied to me too about his income yet I seem to be liable!
He not paid any child maintenance since we split and I do not even know where he lives.
HMRC are asking me to repay tax credits that were paid to me and my partner in 2013-2014 amounting to nearly £4k. I have already told HMRC about the circumstances but they still say I have to ay the money back. I can barely make ends meet already and have been left with debt of £5k I am still trying to pay back and am at my wits end and don't know what to do.
Can I get legal help for this or any other advice?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you sign the form please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't to be honest remember if it was an online submission or paper form now.

Have you asked HMRC for a copy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I have a letter from them stating the joint award for 2013-14 was initially based on the previous years joint income of £18447 but the actual income assessed was £45634 which is staggering. I'm sure I would have signed a form though as part of the application - but he never let me see any of his finances/payslips - I had to take his word for it which I didn't expect to be a problem at the time.

Ok. In short you need a copy of the application. If you also signed it then you are jointly liable for the debt even if he lied. That is because you should have read what was being signed,
As such you are both equally and fully liable. Sadly this means you have to pay the debt back due to the overpayment, although you may currently be entitled to the tax credit.
But sadly all you can do is arrange a repayment plan and Sue your ex for the payments. Clearly you would need to know where he lives for this.
But sadly you are also jointly liable for the debt if you signed the form
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't afford to repay with the debts I already have so I have no idea where I can turn for help. Even if I could find my ex and sue he would never pay. So I don't now where I can turn for help - is there nothing?

Sadly not. I am very sorry,
You could appeal the decision and take it to a tribunal. This is free. But if you have signed the form I fear you may lose. But tribunal is a no cost option.
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.