How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My son is due to complete his house sale tomorrow morning as

This answer was rated:

My son is due to complete his house sale tomorrow morning as he is moving to a new area. He has just discovered smoke in his modern fitted kitchen. He has isolated the electrical supply as it appears to be the hob. This has stopped the smoke. What should he do? Is he liable? He is in the UK.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
I assume he has exchanged contracts please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, he has exchanged contracts and will complete tomorrow.

Thanks. If there has been an exchange then the risk passes to the buyer. This means the new buyer is responsible for anything that goes wrong with the property.
But he should tell them what has happened, it is only polite. But he is not responsible, they are as owners. He should just isolate it as he has done. No, he is not liable.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.