How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been called to an interview concerning an allegation

This answer was rated:

I have been called to an interview concerning an allegation of benefit fraud by DWP....should I respond at the time of the interview or ask for time to respond. I have no information as to the nature of the allegation at present..I am in receipt of housing benefit and council tax benefit and have been since retiring 2 years ago.
Your advice please
***** *****
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Have you failed to disclose a change in circumstances at all? Have they said how much the overpayment is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alex, thanks for reply.....There has been no change in our circumstances, there is no indication of overpayment or any clue as to reason for allegation


Sadly there is not an awful lot you can do at the moment then. To be called in then clearly the DWP must consider there has been a change which you have failed to declare. It may be a misunderstanding or it may be that you have had someone move in with you (for example) and not said.But until you know what the actual substance of the allegation is there is not much you can do at this stage.However because it is an interview under caution you are entitled to take a Solicitor with you, so it is a matter for you whether you wish to do that. But sadly I can not tell you any more than if you have done nothing wrong, then you do not need to worry,If there has been a failure to declare a change and you have been overpaid then if the overpayment is a few thousand pounds Court can be avoided.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you