How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In July 2013 I had anew downstairs toilet fitted. This started

Customer Question

In July 2013 I had anew downstairs toilet fitted. This started leaking and discolouring the surrounding cupboard - which I did not notice immediately. They took away the pipework and asked the manufacturer and he said that it had been distorted. They keep telling me that the one year guarantee is finished but I contacted the Trading Standards people and I was told that guarantees must last for 6 years. I sent a letter to the owner of the shop and now he says we cannot prove who damaged the pipework so offered me a discount on a replacement. I am reluctant to accept this - I am 80 and slight in build and could not possible have caused this damage Help! Mary Kilbride
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is the cost of repair please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of the £250 cost within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this
What trading standards have told you is complete nonsense.
Are you asking if you can claim more at court?