How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have signed a contract to allow an agent to market our business

This answer was rated:

We have signed a contract to allow an agent to market our business for sale. We are not happy that we have been contacted by their parent company saying they are acting for us. We would like to cancel the agreement but upon reading it in detail we have discovered that the up front marketing fee of £2500 plus vat was described as a registration fee. Can this be cancelled under a cooling off period? We signed the form 7 days ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know whether the contract contains a cooling off period?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does not state a cooling off period and says the registration fee is not the sales fee which is six per cent
Did you sign the contract as a business, I assume you did?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes as a director
Its bad news, unless the contract says otherwise you do not have any cooling off period, unlike a consumer. As a business if it went to Court a Judge would expect you to have read and understood the terms and conditions.
Therefore sadly you do not have a cooling off period as a business.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.