How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

We are a family of two adults and two children and are

This answer was rated:

We are a family of two adults and two children and are on a short hold assured tenancy for nearly 3 years ...our rent has been paid up after having had some arrears however that is all up to date. Our landlord wants to return to this property however there is no suitable property in the area and we are unable to honor the 2 months notice and think we need to be there another 5 months at least before moving. What can we do.
Hello Naj,
You have 2 options:
1) get your landlord to agree to you moving out after 5 months; if he refuses to agree to this your second option is
2) you ignore the notice and not move out. Your landlord will have to go to court to seek a possession order and after that, send bailiffs to evict you. All this should take a few months and should give you time to look for another place.
You are under no legal obligation to move out when the 2 months notice expires. Only a court can order you to move out and even then, you do not have to move out until court bailiffs come round to evict you.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


What if we tell them we cant leave can they apply for a court order now

No, they have to wait until the notice expires first and then apply for a court order. The court process can take months.
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you