How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, my relationship has recently ended with my long term partner. We

Customer Question

Hi, my relationship has recently ended with my long term partner.
We have 2 children together, a house and mortgage plus there are some other depts that we owe and took out together although some of them are only in my name due to her credit rating at the time.
In short we own a house worth about £350K and owe a total of about £290 although and she will argue that £30 is in my name and therefore my depts.
We are still living in the same house in separate rooms and I am solely paying for all of the mortgage and bills. Occasionally she puts a couple of hundred pounds into a bills account but she is not working and expects me to pay for everything.
I know she has made appointments with CAB and has indicated that she believes I should carry on paying.
She has told me that I must pay £600 per month maintenance for our children and this is her contribution to the house bills
I want the relationship to work but she feels she needs to be apart from me.
I have no idea where I stand and what’s right or wrong. I do feel like I need to protect myself and not let somebody walk all over my good nature.
Please has anybody got some legal advice that may help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What income do you each have - and for clarity do you mean that she still wants you to live in the same house?
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

At the moment we are still living in the same house although we both realise that that will change at some point.

I currently earn about £50K per year gross but we have quite a few debts that we have built up over the years so my money is very diluted each month whilst these debts are being paid off.

My ex partner was working about 3 or 4 nights a week as a care worker earning about £70 per night although the woman she was looking after has recently been taken into hospital so she may not have a job anymore.

In January I have some EMI shares in my company that mature and at that point I could effectively afford to buy her out of the house and debts if she agrees.

These shares could effectively be worth somewhere in the region of £250K so it is really important that I protect myself before then.

Our children we have are 3 and 5 (6 in may) I also have another child from a previous relationship who will be 16 in May.

I have faced up to the fact that she does not want to be with me and that our relationship is over.

I now need to concentrate on protecting myself and my belongings as best I can.

I would be happy to throw all the debts into one pot and offload this against the value of the house and pay my ex partner 50% of the difference however I'm scared that she is seeking legal advise to try and get a lot more.

Please help :-)


Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
How much does a cheaper three bedroom property in the same school area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now there's a question

id guess about £250k

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
For clarity - you are not married to each other?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No sorry I should have said

we are not married

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Since you are not married your ex's claims are limited to the assets held in joint names and the needs of the children.
The priority need is for the children to be safely and securely housed until they are 18 - which will either mean them staying where they are - or your ex receiving sufficient from the sale of the house and your other assets to purchase another property , and you waiting for your half share of the equity until your youngest child is 18.
Your ex will have no claim on the money from the shares in the long term
I am afraid that the debts in your sole name will remain your sole responsibility.
If your ex does remain in the current property she will have o take responsibility for the outgoings - including the mortgage. Your maintenance liability will be 16% of your gross income - reduced if you have the children more than 52 nights a year
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details