How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

there, After leaving our last rented property last Desember

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
After leaving our last rented property last Desember in better conditions than it was at the beginning of our tenancy, the lettings agency and landlord are ignoring us and not giving us any reason to don't give us back he deposit. After several phone calls, the lettings agency always said that, as the landlord is living abroad in Australia, they weren't able to contact him, and without his permission, they were not allowed to give us back the deposit. That was not true, as they have been selling the property after our rental finished there.
I've sent a couple of letters asking the lettings agency (Reeds Rain) to give us back the deposit and to give us the contact address of the landlord, with no answer. As we are spanish, and not aware of how this exactly works, think that we need a lawyer to start court proceedings... Can you please recommend someone in the Manchester area? Thank you very much!
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Was your deposit protected and how much was it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Alex,

Yes, our deposit was protected under mydeposits scheme, but we weren't aware that you were not able to start a dispute through their services after 3 months of leaving the property. Always been told by the lettings agency that in a couple of days they would contact me after trying again to contact the landlord.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, our losses are the £650 deposit or can I claim anything else?
Thank you very much.

If it was protected then no, as that was a legal requirement.
Your losses are £650. Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.