How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I think my wife and I are being victimised and bullied by neighbours.

This answer was rated:

I think my wife and I are being victimised and bullied by neighbours. We have been visited twice by the police after unfounded complaints and also had several calls from the local council and visits, again after unfounded complaints. These so called complaints are becoming more frequent and causing great distress. My wife works from home and is particularly upset. Is there anything I can do.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We live in terrace of 4 houses. We are number 2 of the four.

6 Years ago we built a kitchen extension with all the correct planning procedures etc. Last year we had a letter out of the blue from our immediate neighbour (3) saying that she didn't consent to the extension being built. this was followed by several phone calls from a builder on her behalf questioning the validity of our build.

My wife works from home and last year we had a home studio built at the bottom of our garden. The studio comes within all planning regulations and does not need planning permission.

This is when the complaints started. First complaint from 3 supported by 4 - light pollution from the studio. Second complaint, a visit from the police after a complaint from 3 supported by son kicked his ball into her garden. Third complaint noisy children in the garden 3 supported by 4. Another visit from the police - a complaint from 3 supported by son fired an arrow with a sucker on the end into number 3's garden. Today a visit from the council saying that number 4 supported by 3 has complained that my studio has not had planning permission.

Both the police and council have said we have done absolutely nothing wrong. I should add that on the day our neighbours on the other side (1) moved in they were called into meeting held by 3 and 4 and told how awful we are. Our neighbours (1) have told us this and also that they have NO complaints against us what so ever.

My wife is very distressed to have the people at 3 and 4 seemingly ganging up on us as we have never had ANY dispute with them.

My wife writes and illustrates children's books and I am a music teacher.

I hope all this makes some sense. Where can we go for help?

What is it you want to achieve, ie do?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We want to be left alone....but how do we achieve this?

If you consider this harassment you can take action in the County Court. You can ask a local Solicitor to write and ask them to stop harassing you or say you will go to Court. If they do not then you can apply to the County Court for an injunction to stop the harassment.
You would need to complete forms N!
And N16a
The matter will be listed and the Court will decide whether the case is contested and if so whether to make an injunction. If the injunction is breached then they will be in contempt of Court and can be warned, fined or sent to prison.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In your opinion, does this sound like harassment, or should just put up and shut up?
If it causes you alarm and distress then yes it is.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.