How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12067
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My son has written a play which is being performed by a small

This answer was rated:

My son has written a play which is being performed by a small drama company, it has received arts council funding and they are taking the play to Edinburgh this year. I am concerned that the director has claimed copywright of the work. What does this mean and how can he do this if it is my sons original writing?
Thank you for your question.
The director can only claim copyright if your son has assigned the copyright or granted a licence. If he hasn't then your son owns the copyright in the play and can claim the work as his own.
Ownership of copyright carries with it this right and the right to exploit the work namely to use it, sell it, licence it or assign it on various terms and conditions.
A director has no right to claim copyright in the absence of an agreed contract.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that information. Can I ask does my son need to do anything to claim or register his ownership/copyright of the work and if so how is this done?

No there is no register of copyrights. It automatically exists when the work is made.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you