How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Planning Question Detached house in Borough of Haringey Existing

This answer was rated:

Planning Question
Detached house in Borough of Haringey
Existing 1m veranda on rear ground floor with steps 2.1m down onto falling away garden.
We would like to replace this veranda with a 2m wide version. Does this require planning.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. Could you tell me if your property is either listed or in a conservation area please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Joshua,

The property is in neither.

Thank you.

Thank you. If you ar replacing exactly like for like then on the above basis no planning permission will be required. However if there are any substantive differences between the replacement in design or size the proposal would fall for planning. Even where replacements are on a direct like for like basis it is generally prudent to seek confirmation from the local authority that the agree that the replacement is like for like in order to avoid finding yourself potentially having the argument with them after the event with the threat of enforcement action. Based on what you say, you are proposing to replace the existing installation with a wider verander which would not be considered like for like. Accordingly this would appear to require planning permission as verandas do not fall for permitted development. It is possible to obtain pre application advice from the council to confirm their view before you go to the time and expense of submitting a formal planning application but based on what you say above, it would seem unlikely the council will require planning permission to be obtained in these circumstances I fear. However, such an application should be relatively well received on the basis that there is an existing installation - the only likely argument may therefore be about size. I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you