How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son has lost his licence,he has 150 comunity hours to work

This answer was rated:

My son has lost his licence,he has 150 comunity hours to work through. He has missed two sessions(HIS GRANDMOTHER DIED)we provided proof, as he has lived with her for the last 9 years. Now they are making him attend another centre, this he cannot get to. two buses and a long walk by 8 am. he even tried a taxi, who got stuck in traffic poor man. it cost 40 pounds. its not possible. My son is at his wits end. they have given another warning. Please what can we do?. he has spoken to them but they said they dont care
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why can't he use public transport ? I appreciate it is not convenient for him but that is not the test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi we tried this, its two buses and we have to rely on them being on time. even to get to the bus stop is a half hour walk. its very rural. the buses are not every 15 mins like a town. where they want him to go is a long way in a car. they know this and say he should walk. this is a joke. the nearest town is one bus and a walk, why not send him there. i have tried calling his officer myself and she has been off sick for the last two weeks i am now speaking to an office that is also miles away.

Well, that may all be right. But the plain fact is that it is not a defence to breach of the order. We both know what Probation officers can be like. Clearly this is inconvenient for him and there are more convenient options but it is possible. If it is possible then he is required to do it.
If he doesn't I'm afraid they will just breach him.
There could be other reasons. It might be that the local office is unstaffed at the moment. They are undergoing cuts. I would not be surprised if they were just plain being awkward. I have known them do that. However, there is no defence in that.
You can always complain about the officer but in the meantime he needs to do the order or he is at risk of being breached.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok so what happens if we go back to court. will he go to prison

It will be revoked and resentenced.
The short answer is that he could. It is never very helpful when probation ask for resentence.
There are other options like a suspended sentence and a curfew but you do create risks if you breach an order.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you