How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My dad bought a house before 1997. He lived in it with his

Customer Question

My dad bought a house before 1997. He lived in it with his lady friend, Irene. He contacted cancer which led to Alzheimers disease a few years ago and at that time transferred the house into both of their names. My dad is now in a home and Irene continued to live in the house until her death a few days ago. My dad lives in a home now. What will happen to the proceeds of the house? Will I, as my dad's only sibling, be entitled to anything?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Assuming the house was transferred into joint names and the the survivor of the two of them, the house passes to your father as survivor and, in the absence of any will by him to the contrary, to you on his death.
If, however, the house was transferred to joint names and to their respective estates, then Irene's share passes to her estate.
Look at the title deed. If it says after their joint names "equally between them and to the survivor of them" then the house has passed back to your father in its entirety.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.