How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

What option is open to me regarding a relative with possible

Customer Question

What option is open to me regarding a relative with possible mental health problems who is charged with assault, refused to attend court or engage with a solicitor and eventually got arrested for failing to appear in court?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I get a legal practitioner to represent her, request the judge to withdraw the case on grounds of mental health and request the court to section her (enforce treatment) due to mental health?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No and no.
She can appoint a soliciror. The company with legal aid on the substantive matter will usually act. You cannot do it for her.
In terms of getting the matter dismissed, mental health is a non issue. Either she failed to surrender or she did not. If she did then either she did it with reasonable excuse or not. If not, then she should really be pleading.
Courts do not section. Social workers and dockers so that. You can always make a referral. That will not mean she is not prosecuted though.
Can I clarifh anything for you? I will reply in the morning now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Considering she is currently in prison, will she be presented with legal representation or I should contact one to go see her?


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I presume she does have solicitors on the substantive matter? I would be surprised if they don't know she has been remanded.
You can contact them on her behalf if you think they may not.