How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have just married in Zimbabwe and want to bring my husband

This answer was rated:

I have just married in Zimbabwe and want to bring my husband to live with me in the UK. I have started looking at the visa process and the options. I do not have the required finances. Can I get a guarantor who will be legally financially responsible for my husband when he comes, such as my Mother or Father? And if he comes for just 6 months first, is there a set amount I need to be able to show we have between us?
I am afraid guarantors are not considered for such a visa. However, your parents may gift you the money which you may then use to sponsor your spouse.
For a visit visa, there is no financial requirement, one needs to show that they have adequate finances and accommodation for their trip.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks, ***** ***** would count as adequate finances? And online it says that for a a family visitor visa you have to prove that either you have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you. Isn't this meaning a relative or friend could be the guarantor? Also, is there a limit on how much my parents can gift me before I have to pay tax? Thanks

For a visit visa, friends and family may sponsor the visitor e.g. Offer to pay for the airfare, living expenses etc whilst in the UK and to accommodate the visitor.
There is no set amount of money required, it depends on the needs of the visitor but it should be sufficient for their stay in the UK as a visitor.
No limit on how much your parents can gift you and no tax for you to pay on the gift.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks, ***** ***** be clear, for visit visa we could include a letter from my mother for example, saying she will sponsor my husband and cover all his expenses while he is here. Then would she have to provide her bank statements to show she has the finances to do this?

And would my husband be able to stay with me on a 6 month family visitor visa if I am receiving housing benefit for the house where I live?

Yes to both your questions. However, the final decision on whether to grant a visa or not lies with the Home Office.

Please leave feedback.
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that's good news, so any advice on what makes it more likely for us to get the visa? Anything we can do, say, put in place?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.



so my Zimbabwean husband could come and stay with me where I am receiving housing benefit even though he is not allowed to get public funds?


My mum has heard something about there being a limit on how much money a parent can gift to her offspring each year before tax is due?