How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

If Milliband or Cameron don't fulfill their promises

This answer was rated:

Hello. If Milliband or Cameron don't fulfill their promises to the electorate , can we sue them for constitutional misdirection ? Eg If Milliband goes into some kind of deal with the SNP , after stating to us that he categorically will not ? Or if Cameron pulls out of his pledge to hold an EU referendum ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this
You can't sue them as such but you can seek a Judicial Review if any of their decisions affect you. This is where a judge looks at their decisions to see if they are legal and reasonable ones. A judge may agree with the decision or remit it back to the Government for further consideration.
Those are the only actions you can take, so you can't sue but have the decisions reviewed.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you in the US ? I'm not talking about decisions , I'm talking about politicians lying to the electorate to garner votes !

I am based in the UK. The fact they lie does not mean you can sue. You can not sue a political party, you have no contract with them.
You can only sue the Government if they refuse to do something. But sadly you can't sue the party as there is no cause of action against them.
I am sorry.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.