How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

My son's credit card has been used fraudulently. His bank,

This answer was rated:

My son's credit card has been used fraudulently. His bank, Nationwide, has refunded some part of the fraud but refuse to refund the balance (about £700 ). My question is: how much is it likely to cost to pursue the matter through the courts if necessary ? R Britton
Hello, thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this.
If you're asking how much it will cost to claim against the bank, the answer is nothing. You should make a formal complaint in to the bank about its refusal to refund the balance of the fraudulent amount. Once the bank gives you would answer, in relation to the complaint, which it must do within eight weeks of you making the complaint (although it often does so a lot quicker), then a complaint can be made to the financial ombudsman service.
The financial ombudsman service is a completely free service, and will investigate the basis of complaint and direct the bank to take such action, including refunding money is to you as it considers appropriate.
Only if the ombudsman did not accept your complaint would it be necessary to consider court action. If you did go down this route, then it would cost something in the order of £750 plus VAT, if you were to use solicitors to assist you with it. Of course, different solicitors charge differently and you need to get an estimate from a number of firms before proceeding.
I should say, that if you did make a complaint to the ombudsman, and we're unhappy with his answer, then you could still proceed to the court system.
I hope this answers your question. If you require any further clarification, please do let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate the answer for me as highly as possible.
tdlawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you