How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am attending court on wednesday with regard to a speeding

Customer Question

I am attending court on wednesday with regard to a speeding offence and non submission of information. Should I take a solicitor with me? i am not sure if I will be asked to speak or to represent myself. They have requested my presence as I may lose my licence.I have previously written to the court to advise that I was not the person driving.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know:
- Did you plead guilty or were you convicted?
- Do you have any current points, if so what is the offence date?
- Did you send back the original Notice of Intended Prosecution when the Police first asked for information?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have pleaded guilty to no submission of information but not to the speeding offence

yes I do have current points (6) -will check the offence date, but they have not expired

no, that is the problem. I asked my husband to do this as he was the one who was speeding, he didn't do it, told me he had. I realise now that I should not have passed this on but I was cross with him and wanted him to complete and return it.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Ok - if you have pleaded guilty to failure to provide information that carries 6 points minimum. As you currently have 6 points this means you have 12 and liable for disqualification under the totting up procedure.
You can represent yourself and ask the Court to consider exceptional hardship. That is hardship caused to you or others who rely on you,
But sadly based on what you have said you are liable to be disqualified as you have pleaded guilty and will get another 6 points.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh dear. I didnt see how I could do anything other than plead guilty.I didn't submit my info and I should have. I asked someone else to do it, but it was my responsibility to check (he did say he had, but cant see how that would stand up in court as a defence) . My husband is out of the country a great deal and I am relied on to take my son to school and need the car for my work. My work involves travelling and visiting schools in other cities every week.Being able to drive means that I don't need to find somewhere for my son to stay overnight, I can return home , even if late at night. It would be a disaster both professionally and personally if I lost my licence. My sons health involves visits to specialists and clinics after school where possible, but public transport does not connect the school and his clinics. He is also a gifted musician and plays often at school and outside of school. Musical instruments and late nights do not mix with public transport! is there any hope? Should I take representaion? i am not sure if anyoen gets to speak at the hearing?

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
I would advise seeking representation at Court for your hearing. You will get to speak at the hearing yes you will, so dont worry about that.
But the original form sadly it does say don't hand to anyone else. But you can seek exceptional hardship and give evidence as to why.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it helps, thank you. I now need to find some representation!

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Indeed. Good luck and let me know how you get on.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.