How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I am trying to prove my right to work in the UK. I emigrated

Customer Question

I am trying to prove my right to work in the UK. I emigrated to the UK approximately 25 years ago and came with a right of indefinite leave to remain in the uk stamped in my passport. However that passport has been misplaced and this now providing a barrier for me to find employment. How can I access the documentation from the home office proving my status.The country the passport was from was Zimbabwe. I arrived at Heathrow and all the relevant documentation was processed there. If I remember right it was April 1991. The right of indefinite leave to remain in the UK was issued in by The British High Commission in Lusaka, Zambia.I provide all this information to the the DSS in Slough, Yew Tree Road. I have tried to retrieve the information from them under the data protection act but have yet to receive it. They say they have it but dont know how to access it.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am prepared to wait

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Have you applied to the home office for a file on you?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried applying to the home office but they haven't helped. My national insurance number is ***** 19 22 75 D. Maybe this would help.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for you reply.
The only thing you can do is make a subject access request to the Home office asking them to send you your whole file back. This would be the only way to get everything the home office have on you. You may also wish to state in the form that you are particularly looking for your indefinite leave to remain and that you have now lost evidence of it.
Please see the following link:
There is a 10 pound charge you need to pay and the home office will send you your whole file.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards