How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I an old friend of the Smeed family (including the issue Janet

This answer was rated:

I an old friend of the Smeed family (including the issue Janet and Robert) of*****Addlestone, Surrey. I am having trouble locating them as I would like to meet them during a trip from Australia to the UK this summer. The 33 home was sold on 16 August 2006. If I can locate the solicitor who handled the sale they might pass on a letter to either Janet or Robert. Could the name of the solicitor be found on the land title documents? And/or have you any other suggestions? Have searched the electoral rolls and phone directories with no luck. Janet is known to have married Kenneth May in 1966. Any information and/or suggestions will be welcome. Thanks Brian Tout
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

There are two options I can readily think of-
1) The solicitors that acted in the sale would likely have requested official copies of the register from the land registry. The Land Registry may still have a record of which firm made the request. Alternatively they would have a record of the firm that acted for the buyer as that firm would have made the application for registration of the new owners title. Unfortunately this information is not a matter of puiblic record so the Registry may not be willing to release it. Alternatively you could contact the new owners of the property and explain that you are you trying to track down the previous owners and ask them if they are able to assist buying advising you who the solicitors were and perhaps asking their solicitors to advise which solicitors acted on the other side for the sellers at the time. Their solicitors will not give you this information directly due to client confidentiality though they would provide the information to the buyers of the property.

2) alternative approach would be to look at sites such as right move for zoopla to see if you can find no record of the property sale advertisement to ascertain which estate agent acted in the sale. Whether the site would maintain a full record of advertisements so old I'm not certain but if the estate agents in question could be tracked down, again they may still have records of which solicitors acted as they certainly would have had this information at the time.

If both of the above approaches fail, you could consider the use of a tracing agent who are very adept at tracking down individuals. they are usually employed to find debtors but can apply their skills to finding individuals for any reasons. Many offer and no find no fee service e.g.

I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for your response. Have contacted the new owners of 33 but they did not reply. Will try Zoopla. Might have to use a tracing agent as you suggest. But first, as am down under, information about how to contact the Surrey Land Registry will be very useful.


Brian Tout.

Certainly. The Land Registry have now centralised their customer support services though they maintain their regional offices. However public enquiries are deal with centrally at the following details:Citizen CentrePO Box 6350CoventryCV3 9LP0300(###) ###-####(I imagine you may not be able to use this number outside the UKbut I can find no geographic number to contact - you could try +44(0)191(###) ###-####They have an online contact form here: I hope the above is helpful? Can I help you with anything else or has the above answered your questions satisfactorily? If you could drop me a quick message to let me know I'd be very grateful.
Joshua and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for further information about the Land Registry. Think you have given me enough information to get me going again on the search for the Smeed children. Thanks

Brian Tout