How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Financial compensation. My landlord has taken a long time

This answer was rated:

Financial compensation.
My landlord has taken a long time to carry out repairs to heating creating a large gas bill.
Repair a leaking tap creating a large utility bill. 3 months later and after threatening legal action a solicitor has now written saying the repair with be done.
I have taken lots of time of work to attend to or investigate the repairs myself.
Emotional Compensation or Harrassment
After a seperation From my partner The landlord agreed with my ex partner ( I did not agree ) to put the rented property back up on the market for relet. I insisted the board was taken down ever since then the landlords have been difficult, saying very unpleasant things to me by phone. Writing emails to my ex partner saying I have been agressive to them and that my behaviour is bizarre, my emails requests for repair are boarding on harassment. He finally came with three other work man to investigate some repair work when I attempted to speak with him, he put his Hand up to block me out and said in front of other workmen, I do not need to speak with you, he also said I would have to pay £300 call out for the engineer he brought with him.i have ths is writing also. I asked him why is he treating me like this, he is bullying me. He started to shout get angry and left house. Since then he has refused to send workman to do repairs if I am home, I have had to get someone to come to my home. There is other stuff too.
I am a single parent with a daughter with special needs, ( 18yr)
I really think if I was a man or I had a partner he would not have treated me like this.
I have written and requested my ex partner deal with landlords on many occasions as they cause me so much distress. My ex partner does not help the situation,he is paying the rent and clearly says he resents it, he just left 8 moths ago and asked me to move back to a house he had else where, I refused due to my daughters needs. It was assured tenancy
Rent paid to date. I am hoping to leave very soon. My life has been made so upsetting for past 3 months, I have now gone on antidepressants and struggling to run my business as a consequence of upset, the business is very close to becoming insolvent.
I have Been told once repair is Done that I cannot get compensation for the repair.
I am so upset, that these landlords can impact on my life and my daughters life. My daughter had to go into respite care one day week and stay away from house she was so anxious.
Please advise if I can claim compensation for large bills or harressment - can Ido this myself as although I qualify for legal aid due to cuts I will not get it
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know how much you want to claim?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The utility gas bill is £ 1400.00 I want to claim part of this .

the water bill I am waiting on may be £150

do you think I could claim for financial loss and emotional Either for time for getting repair done of the distress caused by landlords delibertly behaving in a way to create upset - I have ever emailed diaized

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial. You may be able to claim £250 doe distress but in reality probably nothing more.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please to conclude

is this straight providing I have the evidence ?

What ' dangers' do I face if it goes wrong?

Thank you

You will have to provide evidence but not at this stage. If it goes wrong and its below then you do not get exposed to legal costs unless you have acted unreasonable.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.