How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We rented a property and a half years, at £995 per month,

This answer was rated:

We rented a property for 5 and a half years, at £995 per month, leaving at the beginning of January. Our landlord was of the opinion in January that the property needed substantial refurbishment and refused to return deposit of £1095 also keeping £500 rent we paid by mistake when standing order was not cancelled. Although they seem to have done nothing about it for over three months (perhaps holidaying in Spain?), they are now wanting us to compensate them for losses in rent over the past four months.
What is the legal situation, please.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Was the deposit protected please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - through Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

Did you get that back or register a dispute?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Neither - we did not realise there was a 3 month time limit. We were waiting to hear back from landlord. They have now sent us a release form.

We are more concerned about having to pay rental compensation.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My main query was whether they can claim rental compensation from us for the time between our leaving and a new tenant taking over, even though they seem to have made little effort to do anything with the house for four months?

No. They can not, they need to mitigate their loss. So no, especially if they havent done anything for 4 months.
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.