How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I would like to enquire how I go about setting up a contract

This answer was rated:

I would like to enquire how I go about setting up a contract on a property which is solely in my partner's name, without having to go through the Transfer of Equity route via mortgage company. The reason being, I am self employed and based on income alone, I would not be accepted on the mortgage as such. However, we are currently putting a lot of money into renovating the property which will increase the property value substantially. It is this I would like to safeguard since, if the property were to be sold, I would have no say in the money, as I am not on the mortgage nor the Property Deeds. Regards, Sophia
Thank you for your question.
The best way to do this would be for you to take a second charge on the property so that it couldn't be sold without you getting your money. A written agreement detailing the shares you are each to be entitled to in the event of a sale would also be needed.
To do this, especially the charge, which is registered at the Land Registry, you should see your solicitor personally.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
May I ask whether this would entail involving the mortgage company via an application? Or whether this is purely a legal matter which a solicitor can draw up?
This is a legal matter and can b dealt with by your solicitor. You don't need to make a mortgage application.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great, thanks for your assistance

HiActually a cheaper and more appropriate alternative is to ask a Solicitor to draw up a Declaration of trust confirming that your partner holds the property on Trust for both of you in equal or unequal sharesClare