How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My mother has died there is under 3000 after funeral expenses

This answer was rated:

my mother has died there is under 3000 after funeral expenses ,she owns her home but owes about 20000 on a mortgage what am I required to do next
Thank you for your question.
The estate has to be wound up. You have to get yourself appointed as executor if there is no will by petitioning the sheriff court. When the appointment is made you have to get a Bond of Caution, a type of insurance policy, to enable you to deal with the estate. You apply to the sheriff for Confirmation, the Scottish term for probate, by lodging an application form and inventory. The Certificate of a confirmation allows you to uplift the funds in the banks, sell the house, repay the mortgage and pay out to the beneficiaries.
A solicitor will normally be required to do all of this on your behalf.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you