How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71030
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Benefits laws, i have discovered an SDP (severe disability

This answer was rated:

benefits laws, i have discovered an SDP (severe disability premium) under the HB (Housing Benefit), is it illegal to get this SDP from ESA (Employment Support Allowance) and HB at the same time?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is there any reason you think it may be?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is named SDP in both Housing Benefit and ESA benefit

What is specifically?
You mean whether you can claim SDP from both at the same time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, can i get the SDP from both at the same time?

Sorry, I see.
No. SDP is essentially to pay for the cost of managing your disability. That is a cost that is only incurred once and so the funds cannot be claimed twice.
ESA in particular is a trigger benefit so you will have a good chance of getting SDP if your otherwise qualify but you cannot legitimately claim it twice.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have informed ESA and HB of my recent PIP award

i know ESA is going to pay this SDP, when i contacted HB a week later, they asked the same questions that ESA asked, if i had a carer receiving money, i said no, but i did tell HB that ESA is about to pay the SDP... do i need to contact HB again to tell them i am only entitled to SDP from one or the other, or will they realise themselves and stop it?

They should realise themselves.
I would suggest sending them a letter to that effect though recorded delivery and keeping a copy. An email would be better. Then you can prove that you have done it.
if they do start paying out twice then inform and keep one in a bank account. They will at some point work out the error and try to reclaim.