How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71037
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am in private accommodation with live in landlord. No written

This answer was rated:

I am in private accommodation with live in landlord.
No written contract but text agreement on cost per month.
She has verbally changed the agreement which has caused me to give her 5days notice to move out and she refuses to give back deposit and demands additional monies whilst I'm here even though I have paid the month up front and will be vacated this Friday.
Can she do this? Demand additional monies, change our agreement and refuse to give back my deposit without written confirmation or consent... I know verbal agreements are not law for tenancy and am unsure what to do.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
She can change the terms of the agreement and she can do it verbally but she needs to give you proper notice. If you pay monthly then she needs to give you one months notice.
You are perfectly free to give notice and she has to return your deposit unless you have given insufficient notice or you have caused damage or you are in arrears.
If she refuses to pay then you can always sue.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As mentioned... Nothing is in written form to clarify terms and of what a month is calculated to. Just text agreement of payment per month.
She has made this very difficult and now demands additional monies for my time here... I am not happy about giving her more monies especially as I shall be gone on the first if the month and she wants this to cover the cost of an ad to look for a new tenant.
I owe her 175 in deposit as was paying this a month in addition to rent.. So for this month to be rent + deposit + an extra week was hard to budget for hence 5days notice of moving out.
What should be the next steps?
It doesn't matter. If there is nothing in writing even in text or email form then the court would look at your payment history to ascertain the agreement rental period and you are still entitled to your deposit either way.
She is entitled to be paid for the time that you are there.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok... So I shall pay her the additional monies for being here and will take pictures of the room upon my vacating it.
How do I advise her to return my deposit as I do not want to enter into confrontation and believe she has not used a deposit protection scheme.
No, she won't have done. This is a live in landlord so it doesn't apply.
Just send her a text demanding it and giving her a specific date.
If she does not pay then just sue her here