How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Our neighbour is stating adverse possession. our title deeds

Customer Question

Our neighbour is stating adverse possession. our title deeds so the land is ours, but as we are new neighbours he is claiming stake over this land
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know whether he has many any application to the Land Registry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he has never applied for land registry
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Then he can't own it. He can only get adverse possession with the Land Registry ownership. He would have to show that he has fenced off the property, used it for 10 years and then only then can he make an application to the Land Registry for adverse possession.
The Land Registry will notify the owner of the application and allow them to object. If they dont then its transferred to them. If they do, the claim fails.
So unless its been done at the Land Registry he can't claim adverse possession.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?