How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Damage in rented property. I am renting a property and had

This answer was rated:

Damage in rented property.
I am renting a property and had someone come to the house and cause criminal damage to the front door. Initially the door looked really bad and the bottom corner was bent in.
The landlord sent a DIY friend out and he managed to unbudge the door so that the door wasn't pushed in as much
Personally I don't think the damage is sufficient enough to replace the whole door but as there is a slight gap in the bottom of the door. It does sit 100% tight with the frame. I guess the landlord has full permission to state it needs to be replaced and to require a full door.
My question is, as the door is lockable and the gap isn't wide enough to cause damage via rain/weather etc... does it have to be replaced now or within a time-frame or do I have until the last day of my tenancy to have it fixed?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Has the Landlord asked you to repair/replace it yet please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They have asked, yes.

In terms of the tenancy, what does it say about keeping property in good state of repair? To keep it in good state or to rectify by the time you leave?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Updating reply.

Ok. If there is no agreement then the Landlord can't force you to do it now. It must be repaired/replaced when you leave.
But if the Landlord wants it done now, ask him which term of the agreement is he relying on? There is no agreement and as such therefore he can not make you do it now. If there was an agreement to say keep in good state of repair, you would have been stuffed. But as it stands there is not.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.