How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

What are my consumer rights having my garage converted to a

This answer was rated:

What are my consumer rights having my garage converted to a room with a fitted window and I am not happy with the results and there are defects?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the law says that the work must be:· Carried out with reasonable care and skill – i.e. to a proper standard of workmanship;· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and· Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed). In addition, any materials provided as part of the work must:· Match their description· Be of satisfactory quality If there are problems with the standard of work, or the materials used, you will have certain rights. If work has already started or been completed, and there has been some breach of contract by the other side, you would usually be expected to give them the opportunity to rectify the problem. However, if you can justify why they should not be given such an opportunity, for example, if work has been left in a dangerous condition or their work is obviously below-par, you could refuse to do so. In terms of potential compensation, you may be entitled to that in the following circumstances:· The work was not carried out with reasonable care and skill, or finished within a reasonable time;· The tradesman has been negligent in their work;· You have accepted a repair, which turns out to be unsatisfactory;· The services are unsafe and someone has suffered injury· You have incurred additional expenses or suffered inconvenience because of the tradesman’s breach of contract. In order to resolve any problems that have arisen, it is generally accepted that you follow these steps: 1. Collect all documents relating to the work (e.g. estimate, contract, correspondence, etc.).2. Contact the tradesman and explain your problem. Ask for a refund, a repair, or compensation and set a reasonable time limit for them to respond (7 days is reasonable).3. In the meantime find out if the tradesman is a member of a trade association with a mediation service that can help resolve your complaint. If they are not, you may wish to obtain an expert opinion from an independent tradesman specialising in this field to back up your position.4. If the matter is still not resolved, write to the tradesman repeating your complaint and how you would like them to fix this. Say you are giving them a final 7 day time limit to resolve the problem or you will ask another tradesman to carry out the work and you intend to recover their costs from them. Advise them that you will not hesitate to issue legal proceedings to seek compensation.5. If the tradesman makes an alternative offer, you can either accept or continue to negotiate. Be reasonable and realistic in what you will accept. You may not get an improved outcome by going to court.6. If the tradesman fails to respond or refuses to resolve the problem, you can get a different tradesman to complete the work and consider suing the original tradesman for all or part of these extra costs. Remember that court is your last resort and you will need sufficient evidence to prove your claim. Nevertheless, it can be a good negotiating tool because it shows you are serious about resolving this and may prompt the trader to reconsider their position. 7. Finally, make sure that you send all correspondence by recorded delivery and keep copies. I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ben
Ive just had a text from the contract doing our garage conversion. He advises he is making up our final bill and will hold back £500 for the front of window brickwork and sill which is not complete and which they have made mistakes with. Am I quite within my rights to advise him I will not be paying the bill until the conversion is completed to my satisfation AND I have a building regulations certificate for completion of work which is vital for validity of our house insurance, any future sale of this house and to ensure the conversion is complete and safe?
many thanks
Hi, yes you may indeed advise them of that, especially if this was what you had initially commissioned them for and the certificate is a normal thing to get after completion of such work (or it was promised by them at the start)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks very much again Ben.
you are welcome