How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
This answer was rated:

Where do you stand if you purchased a car and on the way home

the engine blows up. We... Show More
the engine blows up. We purchased it from a dealer.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
We purchased the car and on the way home the engine blew up we were wandering where we stand I getting the dealer to sort it out
There shouldn't be any problem with making demands of the dealer. The SGA clearly applies and this was a very short possession.
The question is what remedy is appropriate. Generally speaking dealers prefer to repair than offer a refund or an exchange because it is cheaper.
Given the type of fault you are describing it might not be cheaper to put a new engine in but then he would have to offer a like for like exchange or a full refund. There would be no justification for anything else.
In fairness, he hasn't said he won't yet. He just hasn't come back. If he does then just sue him at the small claims court. You will win.
Can I clarify anything for you? I am just offline for about an hour and a half but I'll pick up soon.