How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Joe c when I emailed you earlier about if I can enter my

This answer was rated:

hi joe c when I emailed you earlier about if I can enter my bungalow without my daughter s permission and if I can charge her rent also can I force her to sell as I said we own it 50/50
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What was the agreement reached about when the house would be sold at the time of the purchase?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ther is no mortgage on the bungalow no agreement was ever made it is only the last 5yrs since I walked out due to the fact we fell out and there is no way I can get her to talk things over with me that is why I wanted to know about charging rent

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I forgot to say the bungalow is worth about

15o ooo

Would you prefer to force a sale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no don't wish to force sale just wanted to know can I charge her rent

You are entitled to charge her "Occupation Rent" for her use of your half of the property.
It is not Rent in the usual way - there is no tenancy agreement as such and you cannot force her to pay it unless you also force a sale.
You can force a sale at anytime that you wish to do so via the courts.
You are also entitled to enter the property whenever you wish unless there is an Order excluding you.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for that advice is it possible for you to send letter to her telling her of my rights as she sent me letters saying that she had advice stating I could only enter the property twice per year is sufficient under terms of ownership she has had this advice from a letting agency the letters she sent are not from a solicitor

That woudl only be appropriate if this was a Commercial Letting arrangement - which it is not
I am afraid that we are a question and answer site and we cannot send letters on your behalf