How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a 6 week old baby, I seperated with my babys father

Customer Question

Hi I have a 6 week old baby, I seperated with my babys father when I was around 4months pregnant, him and his family abuse drugs and he lives at home in this enviroment and felt that my child would not be safe in the company of any of them. I have aloud him to come along to the scans and bring his family to see the baby in my home, although he wasnt very interested and and when I brought the baby home from the hospital he came around then didnt come/text or call for 21 days! so I registed the baby (his name is ***** ***** the certificate), I told him that I had registed him and have continued to allow him to come round on a time and day which suits us both. I have been totally reasonable even encouraging him to take the baby over to show his girlfriend and friends when I bumbed into the at the shops. I have since started a new relationship with an old friend who I have known for many years (a really nice well brought up guy). NOW my babys father is constantly calling me and accusing me of driving my baby in my car without insurance (which is untrue) trying to make out I am a bad mother.... I have been exclusivly been breastfeeding which he has called me a liar and said I am only doing it whilst he is visiting and that he has seen a bottle in my seriliser when he washed his hands in my kitchen during a visit!, (the bottle was for cooled boiled water during the warm spell we had), he has told me to put the baby onto formular and he is going to come and collect him. It is starting to really get me down now, I have been there soely for this baby when he has been uninterested and he has provided me with nothing not even a nappy!, I have not asked for nothing from him and he has not offered. I feel really pressurised to hand my son over to him. He has also been stalking my every move and has even gone to the local children centre where the baby gets weighed and has aasked if i have been attending. what rights does he have.... please help? Georgia
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How often has he seen the child in the last six weeks?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, he has seen my son 10 times in the last 7 weeks. He came to see him 2 times whist I was in hospital and then again 2 times after I went home (baby was around 7 days old). He then disappeared for 21 days, during this time he didn't contact me or see my son. I was also unable to reach him during this time. He text 5 times after this asking only when we was going to register for our sons birth certificate. I had already registered him without a fathers name. He came round to see Liam next when he was 4 weeks old. During this visit we arranged for him to see Liam twice a week on a Monday and Thursday between 9am and 10am (as this suited us both). He has been late on a few of this occasions and for some hasn't turned up. He asked to change certain days to allow my son to meet his family and friends (which I have allowed) none of these meetings have happened as each time he has canceled them at short notice and is wanting his original day back. I hope this Is enough information,
Many thanks,
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that.
Since his name is ***** ***** the birth certificate he does not have Parental Responsibility and is not entitled to speak to any of the health professionals dealing with your son.
however your son is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
Equally if your ex can show that he is committed to the child and will not misuse the rights then the court would grant him a Parental Responsibility Order
However at present it is clear that he WOULD abuse Parental Responsibility - he is already harassing you.
Your concerns about him taking the child are understandable - and clearly you no longer wish to spend time with him - so I suggest that you offer contact at a local Contact Centre
You should arrange to discuss matters with him using Family mediation
and make it clear that if he continues to contact you and harass you you will report it to the police
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details