How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner died in 1984. At this time I was pregnant (about

This answer was rated:

My partner died in 1984. At this time I was pregnant (about 4 weeks).My daughter was born in 1985. According to the registra I was unable to have his name put on her birth certificate at the time, and due to my bereavement I did not pursue it. Now whoever she has asked me if I can get his name put on her birth certificate, but I don't know if it can be done.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Will her late fathers family support such an applictaion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Clare,

Her grandfather died years ago and I don't have contact with his Mother.

Is there any family member who would support you so that DNA evidence can be supplied?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


My daughters grandmother is the only living relative. She is in her late 80's, and with no contact for many years, I am not sure what her mental capacity is like. Also I do not want to make contact with her now.

You can have the father's name added to the birth certificate BUT you will need DNA evidence that he was indeed her father.
Without that there is no chance of this happening
If the grandmother will not co-operate then there are Court Proceedings which can be issued to ensure that DNA evidence is forthcoming.
I appreciate that you do not wish to make contact with her - but it is your only option.
Please ask if you need further dteails
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you