How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In October I booked to stay at a hotel in Hampshire

This answer was rated:

In October I booked to stay at a hotel in Hampshire for two nights in late April this year and paid a deposit of £150 for my wife and myself. However, in the week prior to our holiday break we had a kitchen fire and had to abandon the trip. We called the hotel a week before we were due to arrive and told them of our dilemma and have ask for our deposit to be returned. This has been refused despite their website showing all rooms were fully booked with late bookings to the remaining rooms for each evening. Are we entiled for a refund on our deposit?
Ron Dunham
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you book this over the phone or internet? What do their terms say about cancellation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Over the phone and there are no terms and conditions on their website

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you