How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son has moved out of home .He is 17.He has moved because

This answer was rated:

my son has moved out of home .He is 17.He has moved because he wanted to live with his girlfriend,but her house is too small so he lives with his friend.I do not know where that is.There were no issues ,we were very close until my son started seeing his girlfriend.THey said it was unfair i had the rule of no sleeping together under my roof,my son ran up a 300 bill on his phone that i pay and i grownded him for 5 days...he was furious and this is when he left.I check on school and know he goes and that he is safe.I do not know the parents I am devestated he is not home.His father,my ex told me i must give my so his csa money that goes into my bank account each mont..250 pounds and also his family allowance of 60 pounds.I do this because he told me i had to,it was the i know my son needs money to hopefully pay the lady who is keeping him a presumably feeding him.i do not know what he does with the money.i am worried.i seem to have no rights as he is now 17 but surely i am still accountable for his wellbeing.This breaks my heart..but i also need to know if i am doing the right thing..or what else i can do.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that your son is entitled to live where he wishes now that he is over 16 and you cannot force him to return.
In fact you should not hand over the Child Benefit to your son - you shoudl instead notify the DWP that he is no longer living with you and that your claim shoudl end.
Equally you should notify the CSA that you are no longer entitled to the Child Maintenance (unless there are arrears outstanding)
I am so very sorry - but you are doing everything you can by checking with the school
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you