How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am the owner of a commercial property. The property had a

This answer was rated:

I am the owner of a commercial property. The property had a roof leak and I claimed on my insurance. The insurance company appointed a Loss Adjuster, who is offering me a fraction of the cost. He claims that I am under insured hence should get less (he uses a formula to get the figure. I have never come across this formula in 30 years I have let my
commercial property. Can you help me to get the amount I paid the Roof repairer
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is the cost of repair please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The cost of the repair was £1550. The formula used by the Loss Adjuster was:

Sum insured divided by Value at risk (his estimate of the value of the property times amount I paid.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you believe that the Loss Adjuster should not have used the formula to settle on the amount I can claim. As I have mentioned before that this was the first time that I have faced tactics.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.