How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

I am hoping you can help. I am secretary of the Thomas

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am hoping you can help. I am secretary of the Thomas Paine Society UK. Over the years I have collected many items of memorabilia which I have had on display at a local hotel. In the last few weeks the Manager of this hotel has been making slanderous accusations against me so I have decided I wish to remove my property from the hotel, as he has chosen to ban me from entering the premises I have emailed on several occasions to inform him I will send an agent on my behalf to collect my property, I have receipts for it, but he constantly has put obstacles in my way to prevent me sending people in on my behalf to collect, the latest being "With regards ***** ***** property after taking advice this has to be dealt with personally with me so no one can turn up without authorisation to collect anything".
Can you please advise
Thank you
***** *****
Good morning David
You could report this to the police as a theft by retention but they will likely tell you its a civil matter. Nevertheless, it is perhaps worth a call to see if they would be willing to assist.
However, practically, I would suggest that you write to the manager one final time and advise him that you expect a date for your agent to attend to collect your property within the next 14 days.
I would also advise him that it is an offence under the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 to retain your property and if he does not allow your property to be collected by you or your agent within the next 14 days you will commence legal proceedings against him/the hotel (if a chain) for the return of your possessions and damages for his unlawful actions in withholding the same.
I hope this assists. If you have any further questions, please ask.
Hi David
Was there anything further that you needed my assistance with regarding your issue with your property and the hotel manager? If so, please ask.
If I have answered your question, then I'd appreciate you rating my question (positively is always appreciated) in order that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I have not replied as I was waiting for the 14 day period to expire, this has now occurred and I have received no response from the manager and I would appreciate advise on my next step.

Thank you

Hi David
Thanks for coming back to me. However, this is a question and answer site. You ask a question, the expert answers it and you accept the answer.
The question closes or times out without the expert being credited or paid for their time if you don't accept or rate the answer.
I am sorry but I will need to ask you to accept the original question and answer before we can continue.
Kasare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you